Saturday, June 15, 2013

To Tolerate or Not to Tolerate (a reprint of something I wrote a few years ago, updated)

Tolerance. "Leeway for variation from a standard."
Tolerate. "To put up with; endure or countenance"

When I think of these meanings (they are not the only ones)
for the word tolerate I find myself being annoyed.

Right now, someone, somewhere is apt to be tolerating
someone else. Initially, it sounds positive:
"an atmosphere of tolerance" or, "a disposition toward
allowing beliefs and/or behaviors of others when these
differ from one's own." I've come to think nothing could
be further from the truth.

Oh sure, there's a time and place for tolerance.
One might tolerate a humid summer night or a bad movie but in general,
when speaking about human interaction…

I do not think tolerance should be tolerated.

Pick someone at random and place them in a position
of being tolerated. Now tell them how lucky they are to be tolerated!
Did they thank you for this kindness you're shown them?

Tolerable. "Able to be tolerated; endurable."
Who wouldn't want people to have to endure them?

There are many groups of people targeted for this disguised practice of prejudice
and oppression.  You may very well belong to such a group. Maybe you're in
such a group and you don't know it. Or perhaps your membership in the
"to be tolerated club" is obvious.

As long as the differences between people are emphasized, the similarities
will be overlooked.  And what a shame that is when you consider that the similarities
outnumber the differences.

This charade of being accepting and open-minded should be exposed.
It is too easy to hide behind this socially acceptable mask. When people
distinguish themselves from others to the degree of having to
"tolerate" the other person,  they are building walls, not bridges.

This practice is only a small step away from bigotry, discrimination
and chauvinism (to name a few negative outcomes).

There are many examples of tolerance around.
Take a moment to recognize this hidden social malady for what it really is,
a polite way to discriminate.

Stop the hate... Don't Tolerate.



I found the above picture on the internet. I added my comments, of course.
It's interesting to me that the message here is meant to be somehow positive.
I don't see it. It looks like it was designed to promote the toleration of different religious or other groups of lucky toleratees. (uh, that's not a real word).
But to me, it's ridiculous and soooooo NOT THE PRACTICE of any religion
I know of at all. Religions are the bastion of intolerance and discrimination.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.
www.freehomedeposit.com |

11/18/2014 02:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here. 
www.liveweddingband.org |

11/20/2014 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for another fantastic posting. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a speech next week, and I was looking for more info ;)
http://www.atautomotivellc.com |

11/21/2014 02:21:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
http://www.servissimbusiness.com |

11/22/2014 05:16:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was once totally right. This submit actually made my day. You can not believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!
www.myxtrahealth.com |

11/25/2014 04:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As Bogusław said, this mod will probably never come out.
mytraveldna.org |

11/26/2014 02:52:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am just writing to let you understand what a great encounter our girl obtained visiting yuor web blog. She mastered numerous pieces, with the inclusion of what it is like to possess an ideal giving spirit to get the mediocre ones without difficulty master specific complicated things. You undoubtedly did more than people’s expectations. Thank you for presenting these warm and helpful, trusted, revealing and even unique guidance on the topic to Evelyn.
www.nesaahome.org |

11/27/2014 06:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

IT'S EASY TO COMMENT!
Click the down arrow to the right of COMMENT AS: and select anonymous.

<< Home